Pablo in P&M – Shopping!

Copy-of-Unpacking-books-2Until today, I thought P&M was a clothing brand from the 1970s but apparently it stands for “Procurement and Metadata”, which I understand to be professional shorthand for “buying and labelling”. I got to try my flipper at what P&M does, and so got stuck right in.

Procurement is the official name for “shopping” and the Library does a lot of it. Since August 2014 the library has purchased 5,718 new printed books, not to mention all the electronic ones. I hope they didn’t all arrive on the same day! I started by helping to unpack some new books. The ones at the bottom of the box are always the trickiest…

Assistant Librarian (Promotions) at the University Library. An enthusiastic advocate of libraries, diversity, inclusion, equity, and social justice for all, inside and outside the workplace.

2 comments on “Pablo in P&M – Shopping!
  1. FRBR is just next-gen labeling, introduced by librarians to help make library labels understandable to the folks that brought us the internet.

2. Procurement and Metadata – indeed, nothing more than posh words for buying and cataloguing (aka labelling). There’s nothing mysterious about librarianship is there? But what about FRBR…

Leave a Comment (note: all comments are moderated)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(you can use <b>bold</b> or <i>italic</i> markers)

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.